Salvation.

Fleeting expressions like this are rarely seen with our eyes but always perceived by our subconscious.

Photography has the power to suspend such moments for our leisurely contemplation.

It’s one of the qualities of this obsessive pursuit that I enjoy.

Salvation

17 thoughts on “Salvation.

A priceless expression, indeed, and he doesn’t seem to have been “put off” by the DSLR form factor.

I’ve been following along with these early D810 posts and particularly related to Andreas H’s comments. As you know, I’m a long time (40ish years, with rests, as they say) Nikon user. I’ve not shot the D810 (not enough steady technique and shot discipline to deal with the 36mps), but I did have a 58/1.4 on my D700 for a short time (rental). Personally, I’d have matched you up with a Df for its sensor, figuring you’d get used to the slight fiddliness of some of the controls relatively quickly, but perhaps not with the 58/1.4. I suspect, really, that the smoothness of that lens is nicely complimented by those 36 mps, giving great detail with a smooth, almost analogue drawing characteristic. I think the 16mp of the Df might benefit from more sharpness, less poetic rendering, in lens choice, given I think it’s sensor is a bit smoother to begin with.

Unlike Andreas, I can’t see a lot of difference in the M9 portrait images and these from the D810. At least not with web sized images. Looking back at, particularly, “Not So Wicked” which is a similar “street portrait’ (although she was clearly “posing” where the Salvation Army fellow is not) the skin tones and textures look pretty similar, given that identical results, since you post process on a unique basis for every image, would be unlikely. And when I look at the first D810 post with G and compare to “Radiata” or “Birth of the Cool, Revisited” I, with what’s left of an old man’s eyesight, can not appreciate much difference in the rendering.

To my eye, which as noted above is pretty Nikon favorable, these early posts look like you’re getting the kind of results you usually are after and at least aren’t complaining about straining too hard in post to get them. If I worry at all about this new direction, it’s purely on the form factor. The Leica and Nikon will do different things superbly. Maybe you’re ready to explore some new avenues. And the really good news is one of those things, as we head into winter, is that the D810 will give you a significantly extended ISO range without DR and faded color penalties.

I say “go for it” and enjoy the process!

PS Still surprised me. 😉

• greg g49 wrote:

” I suspect, really, that the smoothness of that lens is nicely complimented by those 36 mps, giving great detail with a smooth, almost analogue drawing characteristic.”

Greg, you really are a very perceptive man… that is an impressive deduction.

As for me choosing the D810, it’s a bit surprising even for me, given I thought I would never go back to DSLRs. But Nikon finally refined the shutter. The benefit of which goes beyond quieter operation as it dampens vibrations and allows me to photograph at low shutter speeds. In the past, I’d have to to shoot DSLRs at high speeds, and this would negate the ISO advantage they had over the M9 so there was really no benefit.

I probably wouldn’t have gravitated toward the D810 if the M240 was what it should have been. But that’s another story.

Great catch, great image.

(…and “Boots” loved that as well!)

-M.

3. CineStill says:

I agree that it is the expression of the front subject that really makes it an interesting image. Also the repetition of two Salvo’s and two buildings, but what is also interesting is the primary colours in the foreground and the pastel colours in the background. Maybe that would be harder to achieve with the M9? I like the colour from the M9 but I think you are getting something different and interesting with the D810.

• You raise a point I forgot to address above.

Andreas (and now you Cine – can I call you Cine?) are correct: there are differences between the D810 and the M9 sensor outputs that I cannot reconcile via post-processing. Let’s not forget the imprint that each system’s lenses leave as well.

And, as Greg points out above, I don’t have to battle the sensor to produce what I want (especially skin tones which were the bane of my M240 existence and which could NEVER be made right).

By the way, thanks for noticing the composition/repetition… that was one of the things about this image that appealed to me.

4. sgoldswo says:

Peter, I find this a compelling image, thank you. Are you still using Capture NX for processing or have you switched to something else?

5. Absolutely wonderful shot. I also agree with what you wrote.

I worked for the Salvation Army (i.e. the Salvos Stores) for a number of years. This morning I had a dream of returning to work for them. Coincidence? 😉

“But unlike the M240 I actually welcome the difference the D810 brings to to the table. It has a very refined sensor that produces rich files.”

CMOS sensors are certainly evolving in the right direction. I feel with Leica 240 was their first real go developing their own CMOS sensor and subsequently in the T, Q and SL they are improving on it. If the new basic 240 (announced last night) had changed sensor I honestly feel it would have been a great move for photographers, though killed sales of the 240!

7. CineStill says:

The M262 is an interesting development. Does anyone know if it has the same sensor as the Leica SL?

8. A.Hackauf says:

Peter, you wouldn´t be Peter if…..wow what a appealing shot! I wouldn´t go this far as Greg: open two windows and compare this to “unwicked”: ok it is a female attraction and the sun is shining, better blue sky, but for me the M9 is more organic, the transitions are somehow smoother and the colours are so good, but this comes very close! Congratulations! What I don´t like in all the pictures with the 810 is this nikonish faded brownish-yellow background of the sunny houses(for Ex. Police motorcycle…).