Leica fixed the skin tones.

The M10 images I’ve seen so far lead me to conclude:  Leica fixed the skin tones.

Tomato-Face technology has been rightfully abandoned.

Rejoice!

9 thoughts on “Leica fixed the skin tones.

Seems that way! Though at the risk of really annoying a lot people it reminds me of a very digital, digital camera! If that makes sense 😉! That’s not a criticism by the way. It’s just my observation and opinion. Even though I can’t afford it I’m still drawn to the M9 more so regardless of old technology. Don’t really care about the ISO capability.

• jon says:

Agree Andy. The M10 looks really nice, but looking at peoples M10 samples vs M9 samples from early reviews, M9 still has that something else. I hope the Stevehuff review will give it a chance, but I still think his M9 Seal stuff can’t be beaten as well as Peters stuff (Hex 60 1.2 anyone…wow). I’ll be keeping my M9 and saving towards Hex 😉

2. Lol Andy! I didn’t want to say it for fear of starting another round of hostility, but yes, I too still prefer the output of my M9.

And as for high ISO… https://prosophos.com/2013/12/21/good-light-is-good-and-high-iso-is-often-overrated/

3. mahesh0g says:

Peter, did you ever try sony A7 cameras with leica lenses? I’ve one and often wonder if having an M9 will give me nicer files, considering i have VSCO filters too.

PS love to your site.

• Thank you for your kind thoughts.

Yes, I have tried the Sony A7 series cameras. Some observations here:

Incidentally, although I have VSCO a rarely use the filters. They sort of ruin the look of M9 files; when I do use VSCO it’s for quick and dirty results (for Instagram, etc.).

• mahesh0g says:

Hi Peter, thanks for your reply. Silly me – I sent this question and then I found you have used A7s previously. I almost got an M10 but there was some issue with the card transaction so it didn’t arrive. Meanwhile I cancelled the purchase as I was getting cold feet with the price 🙂 I am now thinking of the new Fuji medium format, which is of course heavier than an M but the pictures look great and with touchscreen, fuji film simulations and non x sensor…I am tempted.

4. Ashwin Rao says:

At the sound of coming off as blasphemous, I have finally left behind the M9 dream for what I have seen from the M10. The colors are much more accurate for skin tones, and the pixel depth and quality are reminiscent of a CCD file though the discerning eye may still be able to tell the difference. What one gains is incredible ISO performance that is there when you need it (and permits the use of slower/compact glass in low light), a slightly larger file (whatever) and the the new operational benefits (bigger, better viewfinder with better eye relief, more compact body, better battery, no operational glitchiness, a better EVF, etc). I know it’s the same argument over and over, and some may never be swayed. I did not like the M240’s files for skin tones, and I find the M10 to be much closer to the M9 in its imaging character.

• andygemmell says:

Congrats Ashwin on the new M10. It looks a beauty and Leica have done a great job by the looks of things. I don’t think they have done anything wrong here and not much else they could do!

My comment was more an organic vs pristine digital. To be honest though that was the on limited amount of images I’d seen.

There is no doubt in my mind this camera has improved a lot and apart from pure CCD vs CMOS it’ll run rings around the M9.

• Ian says:

i have seen some of those images on social media which is a good way to grasp a new camera (why not everyday photographers) and one thing I have observed if it comes down to pure IQ. The M10 is good but not better than the M9. I am seriously thinking of going the other way and adding adding a M8 to my M9.