The beginning and the end.

The end and the beginning too.

Prosophos The beginning and the end Leica Kanto Black M3 50mm Summilux ASPH Black Chrome

19 thoughts on “The beginning and the end.

1. Linden says:

Beautiful! Looks nice with your new Summilux too.

2. jkjod says:

🙂 That’s a beautiful looking set up, I’m sure the results will be just as nice!

3. ashwinrao1 says:

Lovely, Peter. Black paint M3? I thought that you were done with Leica 🙂

4. Thank you gentlemen (even Mr. I-told-you-so 😉 ). On a superficial level, this is indeed my dream set-up, no compromises. Whether I do anything worthwhile with it remains to be seen.

So I take it that Canada Post finally found you. 😉

You are familiar with my views of M3’s and you, but this one is especially special. I have seen precious few of pictures even of the black paint version. Sure is beautiful in that sleek dress, and I hope constantly calling to you to take her dancing.

Sure looks like a beauty Peter. Enjoy! I might be a bit cynical here and nothing against you or any of us for that matter but as you say “on a superficial level”…lol…we are mostly the same. There is not one camera which is “our dream set-up”. We’ll all keep searching. Though I do love this and its so so close! 😉

7. karen says:

Only you can turn the arrival of a new camera into a breath-holding, flight-tracking, attention-grabbing serial story.

Why?

Because, as Aivaras posted, we know you’ll do something very, very, very worthwhile with it.

Enjoy this beautiful equipment combination.

8. Laurent Moffroid says:

Hi Peter,

Been following you for quite a while now, you made my day once when you invited us to the idea it was ok to shoot your family with expensive gear, I felt immediately less guilty for having purchased M9, MM, Noctilux and that kid of stuff

Fact is a black M3 with that summilux is probably the most sexy camera you can think of

And it is obvious you’ll keep on delighting us with great portraits, as you have always done

One day I’d like to share with you what I do, funny to see the resemblance between your 3 children and my 3 children…

Have a nice day Peter
    Laurent

Yes, I had written to “photograph your family with the best equipment you can afford (and learn to use)”. The emphasis was on finding capable gear, not about how much it costs — though capable cameras are often pricy. However, that’s not always true: witness the plethora of old film cameras that can now be purchased for next to nothing.

And it’s not so much that it is just “okay” to photograph your family with high-end gear, it’s actually one of the best reasons to photograph. Many manufacturers showcase their newest cameras by hiring a pro to go to an exotic location, or hiring models. I believe it’s not that difficult to produce nice images in those contexts. You want a challenge? Try photographing your 2-year old’s birthday party in a room with bad lighting and clutter and produce an image that people outside of your immediate family find artistic. That’s what impresses me.

9. Fin says:

My thoughts exactly. And if it works out it is very rewarding on multiple levels, both personal and artistically.

There you go Peter, my first comment ☺

ps. do you still have your “undisclosed” lens in use?

10. G.A. says:

Beginnings and ends might have something in common…
    My beginning was an M8. At the end it’s my only digital Leica.