I ruined the film.
(more on that later)
Yesterday, we went to see the Toronto Blue Jays play the Baltimore Orioles at the SkyDome.
We hadn’t attended a game all season and for weeks had been saving the last-weekend-before-going-back-to-school surprise for our kids.
It was a hot, hot, hot day. We had no shade. We melted.
The Jays won – yay!
During the eighth inning, a pop-up fly ball off the bat of my son’s favourite player (Troy Tulowitzki) was hit our way.
I warned my youngest daughter beside me that it was coming at us quickly and then, at the last second, instinct took over and I stood up to catch it with my bare hand.
When I realized what I had done I shouted like a caveman.
After receiving celebratory high-fives from the friendly crowd around me, I turned to face my family so that I could triumphantly hand over the ball to my ecstatic kids, but instead I was greeted with tears.
It turns out that a rather large gentleman who had not moved all game — and who was separated from me by the seats occupied by the rest of my family — had at some point developed the curious notion that he had a chance at getting the same pop-up ball that now lay in my hands …by diving across my family for it.
He ended up on the pavement of course, but not before “body-slamming” (my wife’s description) my kids.
To his credit, he apologized.
However, the remaining last inning was spent consoling my eldest daughter who had taken the bulk of our seat-neighbour’s considerably forceful blunt impact.
Afterwards, we laughed.
So back to the film and the images on it…
I messed up. Twice. Once when assembling the reel and tank and then again when I was developing.
In my fatigue and hurry last night to get the film developed and hung to dry for scanning today, I committed two rookie mistakes and lost more than half of the role. The surviving images (those that weren’t damaged) were manipulated heavily during scanning and post-processing to get anything to show up.
I lost some potentially very nice images.
On top of it all, I was testing Undisclosed Lens #3, so I sort-of jinxed its debut.
Enough of words!
Here are the (surviving) images from our fateful September 6, 2015:
And now one digital image, taken this morning…
(the cause of all the craziness yesterday)
There was even more craziness on the way home, but those images appear to be totally lost.
I’ll see if I can save any of them, but as you can tell the image quality was progressively deteriorating towards the end of the roll.