The Green Room.

The Green Room

19 thoughts on “The Green Room.

1. joceaphoto says:

Are you developping your colours films also?

Nice photograph by the way.

Jocelyn

2. excellent photography. It`s allways a pleasure to look at your photowork. Peter from Germany . http://www.hollenbach-foto.de

3. Karen says:

You never mentioned your son is Spiderman! He looks a bit reluctant which adds to the charm and beauty. Super heroes (like all our children) grow up quickly and stop crouching on desks….great that you have the moment captured. Seems silly to add this….but wow, the color of that green wall is beautifully represented.

• LOL, I didn’t think of him as Spiderman when I photographed this scene, but now that you mention it, there is a super hero sort of resemblance with his pose.

And yes, the green (and all the colours in fact) as captured by Portra film are never duplicated quite the same in digital.

The 43mm Peter! Nice to see you got your hands on one and love the result!

• I’ve resisted this lens for three years… longer than I’ve resisted the 50 APO, but I could resist no more. I just knew I would “bond” with it, and here I’ve bonded instantly with it with my very first image!

The lens is completely free of distortion.

And, It confers a “cinematic” quality to images. Fantastic.

5. David says:

So, so, beautiful. Peter, this is as close to perfection as one could hope for. The shot is wonderful, and film, in that camera, with one of the worlds best lenses. I shall say no more…

• Thanks David. You see it as I see it. I can’t believe how much we’ve lost in this world by defaulting to digital. There is such beauty to be realized with these “old” lenses/cameras/films.

• Omer says:

Set up a darkroom and use it consistently for 5 years, then to post your photographs scan prints. Yes, I understand the feeling for the organic quality of film, but even emulsion evolved for ease of use.

Beautiful photograph. Nicely done.

• David says:

Peter, I fully agree. So much of what I fell in love with photography is disappearing or disappeared and I miss it dearly. Photography feels like a shell of what it used to be.

Unfortunately everything really is digital these days, the commercial industries are no longer interested in the extra expense, the insecurity of not knowing what has been captured, and the extra time involved turning around film. They look at me blankly when I propose we shoot film. Much of the time I’m just really displeased with the results of digital, even working with the best available.

Then, more-so, there is the longing for the authenticity of film, which is important to me. I thin it’s an important part of photography for what it stands for. Holding the negatives, getting lost in 5×4 transparencies and watching people hold polaroids like they are precious and made of gold…it’s wonderful. You shoot people with film and they behave entirely different because they are aware of it’s ‘scarcity’, it’s value, it’s permanence, the need to concentrate and get it right. It’s just different.

Then there is the darkroom, that organic crafting is gone, that trance like state you get into over the enlarger connecting with your print. Things like Polaroid, something which I loved dearly and can’t replace, it was king in its day, its era… 10×8 Polaroid is something to behold and it’s gone, forever.

Now I feel like we’ve been robbed, somewhat, of something truly great that man kind had developed, perfected and held onto for generations, most likely because of a marketing decision made by corporations in the space of a few years. It’s the madness of King George, given the camera industry is now on verge of collapse because everyone has a digital camera, or worse an iPhone…I think we took, in the case of photography, a wrong turn and I want to go back, or at least be able to go come and go as I please.

6. David says:

Looking again Peter, this is such a beautiful image. That red on the green, that composition and perspective, that expression and tip of the head. It’s wonderful. Well done.