Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 Distagon T* ZM.

Zeiss 35mm f_1.4 ZM

It comes in black and silver, of course.

A very intriguing lens.

If the Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 Distagon T* ZM truly surpasses the performance of the Leica 35mm Summilux FLE, it will be impressive.  Even if the published Zeiss MTF graphs are misleading and this lens “only” comes close to the FLE, it will still be impressive, given it’s 50% the price of the Leica equivalent.

However, it’s larger than the FLE (but has less distortion).

Looking at the few sample images on the ‘net, it renders very similarly to my 50 Summilux ASPH and the Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 ZM (two lenses I love), at least with respect to the way it draws the (in-focus) subject.  Bokeh is not the same.

Did I mention I’m intrigued?

10 thoughts on “Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 Distagon T* ZM.

1. David (D&A) says:

Peter…interesting…I too adore both thr Leica 50mm Lux asph as well as the Zeiss 21mm f2.8 Zm…so my anticipation for this new Zeiss offering is high. Although the Leica 35mm Lux FLE is near technically perfect, its sometimes double line bokah often is distraxting and I like many others prefer its predisessor the 35mm Lux asph pre FLE (even though that lens exhibits considerable focus shift). Lets cross our fingers for this new lens, espexially the way it draws.

Dave (D&A)

2. I have two quibbles with this lens, not that I know anymore about it, the size and 3 clicks vice two clicks on the aperture to change 1 stop of light. I like two clicks on the aperture that coincides with two clicks on the shutter to change 1 stop of light.

I am now shooting with the pre-FLE 35 Lux and prefer its out of focus rendering to the newer FLE. I mint copy still costs more, I think, than what this new Zeiss 35mm though.

3. gunston says:

Waiting for real life review

4. Dominic says:

I’ve been eyeballing this lens myself. Very tempted to purchase it when its released.

5. i have the FLE but there were times when i was close to letting it go because it is hard to justify. I am more of a 50mm shooter but the Zeiss really looks promising on paper.

6. Luiz Paulo says:

It sounds promising. Hope you get one for reviewing Peter! I’d love to read your thoughts.

7. Mike says:

I wonder if this will work okay on the A7r?

• elderin says:

Hi Mike, i had the Chance to test the lens on the Sony A7r briefly. It seems it works flawlessly on that camera. No smearing, no color shift, no other issues and i liked the rendering even better than on my M9. This lens has a modern character that fits very well to cmos sensors. On the M9 it is a very good lens, but i would prefer the FLE just like Peter. I wrote a review on gerhardsphoto.com if you are interested.

8. Leonardo says:

I can’t decide what to get for my M 240. This lens is half the price of the Lux FLE and most of all, looks like it’s technically the best 35mm M mount lens.
    The lack of Lightroom profile, no 6 bit coding and a different filter size keeps me from buying it.

Difficult decision: Is the 35mm Lux FLE worth the big price difference?