De Mello Classic.

For comparison purposes, see a recent shot (different lighting and composition however), taken with the Mamiya RZ67 and Kodak Portra 400 film.

de-mello-classic

↑Leica M9 (CCD Lives!Prosophos Open Letter to Leica) + Leica 90mm Summicron APO.

11 thoughts on “De Mello Classic.

1. Damn, that’s a beautiful shot. An appropriate interpretation of the ‘negative’, free of affectation, always leads to a better aesthetic. You should be a commercial photographer. And then some. 🙂

Its as close to film as you’ll get in a digital camera!

3. Andrew and Karim, I find them quite different (on my computer screen anyway). The M9/90 shot looks “hard-edged”; the film shot has more nuanced tonality. Of course, the “sensor” sizes and media differ like night and day, as do the lenses, so you naturally expect completely different results.

• andygemmell says:

I found the biggest difference to be the lighting! Yes edging is stronger in digital though it didn’t jump out at me between the two. They are both “close” in general sense which says a lot for both systems and your PP capability.

4. A.Hackauf says:

Breathtaking wonderful awesome ! M9/90 did never disappoint in your hands Peter! Call it film or digital or digifilm or filital , I really don’t care! The results just matters and this here is wow!!!!

5. Jsmith says:

Erm, it’s a photo of a cup of coffee. What are you people smoking?!

6. Dalal says:

I love this shot…probably my favorite so far from the De Mello series!
    I think I prefer the M9 look 🙂

7. Sean says:

I think the Jan 22 M9 shot ( https://prosophos.com/2017/01/22/latte-3/ ) is closer, the M9 does have cleaner edges and separation, the film is smoother, creamier. In the style of images taken here, I believe medium film will always be king. These are style, art shots. A CMOS will be the most clinical, M9 colour adds some interpretation, film adds some imperfections in that the edge of the cup is sharp in real life, but we can see that when we look at it. I’m not a huge BW fan, but I appreciate its gives me something I can’t usually see, the imperfections around the edge, the colour are not real and as long as there appealing imperfections then I’m happy.

• A.Hackauf says:

Sean, you are right:” Film is king” … but to be honest all the efforts that come with film… I am not able to do it.. ok the film enthuastics will shake their heads.. but I smile…press the button of my M9 and smile again and I know: she is the QUEEN!😀 Sir Peter is influenced on and off by the film virus 😜 But in the end M9 wins every year the title! So chapeau to all the film experts I really appreciate their ART! So my friends:” the queen is dead, long live the queen!”