CCD.

Can’t Comment or Divulge.

…yet.

38 thoughts on “CCD.

1. John G. says:

This post, along with your comment regarding the Rainbow Arc photo sound like an M9 or M-E is in your future…or maybe a completely different surprise. Looking forward to understanding what you are telling us.

2. Linden says:

S2 / S / S-E 006? The ultimate Leica CCD. 😉

3. “I am not at liberty to divulge” any more. But will be at some point, hopefully soon.

And I will add: keep the faith!

Wonderful news, Peter (whatever it is…).

It would certainly be nice to see your hard work come to fruition!

5. Luiz Paulo says:

Whatever it is sounds like a great news. Hope you’ll be free to tell us soon.

6. gmlane says:

Sounds like promising news to those who signed your letter. We’ll see. And thanks for keeping us informed.

7. gmlane says:

Could it be that someone other than Leica is going to offer the CCD sensor in a new camera?

• andygemmell says:

Mamiya 7 digital would be nice! I personally think if this was happening it would be Leica. They are the only company that openly have said they have developed a new CCD sensor back in July.

Mmm…been thinking more about this. Do we have Jono Slack on our hands in the name of Prosophos? 😕

9. gmlane says:

Peter, maybe we can make it worth your while to divulge? Just kidding. I love the excitement and anticipation that this post is generating.

10. Pi says:

You know I wish it was another company and it’s a best seller.

11. Jim says:

I’ll guess Pentax 645D.

Ahhhh, a delightful Christmas mystery.

If there’s a way to go CCD without going either small, old, or MF, I haven’t heard even rumor of it. Even the Konost (still short, I understand, of working prototypes) is said to be a CMOS sensor, though otherwise it seems quite interesting. Small? You? Old? again, I can’t see it, particularly in winter, MF is a worse form factor than the D810 not to mention WAY expensive (except for the Pentax you’ve already ruled out), and foveon is untenable at the moment for a variety of reasons.

Ruling out various Leica products makes the “keep the faith” comment inscrutable…

So, I’m stumped, not even a wild guess. Nothing to do but stay tuned.

13. Dear Santa,
    Please bring Leica a compelling CCD sensor…or whatever you call it as long as it behaves similarly… for its future M cameras.

Peter is definitely on the “nice” list this and every year. He has been asking politely and persuasively. For several years now. Even just one for him along with Leica engineering support would be appreciated. If you are unable to do this, and I understand you are busy, perhaps you could sub-contract out the task to one of your elves dedicated to the digital photography division of your operation.

No one is saying your job security is at risk. No one would say that.

Still, it makes it easier to believe in you with the occasional proof that you are listening.

There could be some extra cookies and milk waiting for you in many hundreds of homes. The light this time of year can be dim for the northern hemisphere but I feel confident you would get offers for many fine, pro-bono portraits with great color and details….even at lower ISO levels and without having to blind you with a flash….if such a sensor could be gifted.

Best regards,

A mostly “nice” Leica photographer

p.s. Many thanks for the M8, M9, and Monochrom cameras….they have been great.

• LOL “A mostly ‘nice’ Leica photographer”, I don’t think Leica is listening, but I do thank you kindly for your encouragement (as always).

Maybe, however, someone else is listening…

“I am not at liberty to divulge” any more information, but I will say:

Keep the CCD faith!

14. Frank B says:

It has to be Konost, I can’t think of anything else

15. People: educated guesses can be made based on the known, but it’s difficult to make a good guess based on the unknown.

So, once again: Keep the CCD faith!

16. Larry Cloetta says:

Zeiss has cleared up the Contax copyright issues and is introducing a full frame CCD sensor Contax/Yashica mount body with the new Epson EVF so I will now be able to use all my C/Y lenses on both film and digital, Yay! I’m dreaming.

17. Dr.S says: