The Crucible.

“You will, Judas, my brother. God will give you the strength, as much as you lack, because it is necessary—it is necessary for me to be killed and for you to betray me. We two must save the world. Help me.”

Judas bowed his head. After a moment he asked, “If you had to betray your master, would you do it?”

Jesus reflected for a long time. Finally he said, “No, I’m afraid I wouldn’t be able to. That is why God pitied me and gave me the easier task: to be crucified.”

― Nikos Kazantzakis, The Last Temptation of Christ.

The Crucible

8 thoughts on “The Crucible.

1. Henry Turner says:

Hi Peter,

I hope that you and your family are well and thriving. I know I speak for many when I say we miss your posts but are so grateful for your love of photography and for all that you have shared with us. Bless you and your lovely family.

2. Mikael says:

Welcome back! Good to see the last post wasn’t the final installment

3. gagemanning says:

Welcome back! I know I don’t always comment but I look forward every morning to see and read your post!

4. Steve B says:

Welcome back!!! I’m seriously glad to see you are still around. And… I’d be interested to know your opinion of the upcoming Leica offering.

5. kostas says:

Nice to see you back Peter. I sincerely hope you are ok and i am very glad to see you with us again. Kazantzakis is my favorite author, but I connect him with “difficult” periods in my life. My apologies for my bad English, all my respect for you and you family, I hope you keep on with your beautiful work.

6. A. Hackauf says:

….Jesus was saying, “Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing.” Luke 23:34

..re-formed…crucible.

A sign of life – good!

7. Israel says:

Nice to see you back, Peter.

I do not comment here often because I fell insecure writing in my bad english. But this time I really want to thank you for all you have create and share with us. The text of Nikos Kazantzakis has reminded me another of Jorge Luis Borges (argentinian writer) titled: “Three Versions of Judas” of his book Fictions (1944):

“God was made totally man, but man to the point of iniquity, man to the point of reprobation and the Abyss. In order to save us, He could have chosen any of the lives that weave the confused web of history: He Could have been Alexander or Pythagoras or Rurik or Jesus; he chose an abject existence: He was Judas.”