31 of my favourites from 2013.

As has become an annual ritual (and learning process) for me, I recently reviewed my images from this past year.

What follows are my favourites — my “31 of ’13“.  They are presented in no particular order, but each one stood out for me.

I also want to take this moment to thank you for your overwhelming support of my endeavours on this site.  Each day, I look forward to reading and responding to your comments, and I look ahead to 2014 with much optimism, and inspiration.

P.S.  The images below are dedicated to my grandmother, Thecle, who looked after me with infinite love when I was a child, and who passed away this year.  Love you forever, my Yiayia.

My favourite “31 of ’13

“Baseball, Revisited”

(Leica M3, Leica 35mm Summilux ASPH FLE, Kodak Tri-X 400)

baseball-revisited

“Bathsheba”

bathsheba

“Breakfast”

breakfast

“Face Painting”

(Leica M9 and Leica Noctilux 0.95)

face-painting

“Free As A Bird”

(Leica M9 and Leica Noctilux 0.95)

free-as-a-bird

“Ghost Train, Revisited”

(Leica M9 and Leica 24mm Summilux ASPH)

ghost-train-revisited

“Pure Honey”

(Leica M9 and Leica 24mm Summilux ASPH)

Pure Honey

“The Long Road Ahead”

(Leica M9 and Leica 24mm Summilux ASPH)

The long road ahead

“Laundry Time”

laundry-time

“LOVE”

(Leica M9 and Leica 24mm Summilux ASPH)

Love

“The Caiman”

the-caiman

“Angelic”

(Leica M9 and Leica Noctilux 0.95)

Angelic

“Ezra”

Ezra

“Rock Pool Lounging”

rock-pool-lounging

“Chestnut”

(Leica M9 and Leica 75mm Summarit)

Autumn Chestnut

“Sun Bathers”

sun-bathers

“The Purple Hat Portrait”

(Leica M9 and Leica Noctilux 0.95)

The Purple Hat Portrait

“Jump in the Bask of the Golden Sun”

jump-in-the-bask-of-the-golden-sun

“Laugh”

(Leica M9 and Leica 75mm Summarit)

Laugh

“Charlie”

Charlie

“Soccer Girl”

(Leica M9 and Leica Noctilux 0.95)

Soccer girl

“43”

43 years

“The Interaction”

the-interaction

“Thrilled, Revisited”

(Leica M9 and Leica 24mm Summilux ASPH)

Thrilled, revisited

“Thrilled”

Thrilled

“The Toss”

(↑Leica M3, Leica 50mm Summicron Rigid @ f/2, Kodak Tri-X 400)

The Toss

“The Photographer and the Dying Light”

(Leica M9 and Leica 24mm Summilux ASPH)

the-photographer-and-the-dying-light

“The Photographer and the Dying Light, Revisited”

(Leica M9 and Leica 24mm Summilux ASPH)

The Photographer and the Dying Light, revisited

“Boy”

Boy

“End of Summer”

(Leica M9 and Leica 24mm Summilux ASPH)

End of Summer

“Thecle’s Gift”

(Leica M9 and Leica 24mm Summilux ASPH)

thecles-gift

Related posts:

21 favourites from 2012.

11 favourites from 2011.

_____________________________

Please donate to this site.

Please show your appreciation!

If you’ve been inspired by these images, or any of my articles, please consider making a contribution to help me run this site.  Whether it’s $5, $10, or $15… it all helps.

Donate to this site (button)

This site is a labour of love, but any help I receive will help me devote more time to running it.

Thanks,

40 thoughts on “31 of my favourites from 2013.

Wonderful Peter. I’m looking forward to visiting Prosophos.com in 2014 already!

2. Luiz Paulo says:

Awesome Peter! I’m sure 91 of 2019 will be fantastic as today. 🙂

• Prosophos says:

Luiz, you’ve “de-coded” my system 😉

I don’t know if my eyesight will be good enough in 2019 to continue using a rangefinder. Maybe I’ll pick up a Nikon D5 or Dwhatever and “machine gun” my way to making images…

3. Bijan Sabet says:

What a wonderful way to reflect on the past year. Beautiful photos and powerful memories.

4. Jon Streeter says:

Wonderful! Like getting a Christmas present.

5. wakingmist says:

Great set of photos over the past year Peter! Looking forward to 2014.

6. Karen says:

“31 from 2013”. A treat. I smiled when I clicked in and was presented with this holiday gift. A second look….in some cases a hundredth look. (Ghost Train Revisited? I expect it was some lovely, sweet outing you were photographing but what you created has been an entirely disquieting, brilliant, menacing, wide-awake nightmare for me. I am not going to thank you for that.)

I will be calling your “31 from 2013” collection by a nickname.

Prosophos’ Gift. And I do thank you for this.

Is it time, yet?

(For the book?)

• Prosophos says:

Karen, you’re also much, much too kind.

And, I wouldn’t know the first thing about making a book (other than the simple ones I’ve created as family keepsakes).

7. nickolas says:

another year of wonderful images.
    sorry about your yiayia, god rest her soul.

8. Hilmar says:

Great set. I love many of your photos.

9. Matteo says:

Great selection of beautiful shots from this 2013! It’s interesting that almost 1/3 of the images comes from your holiday with just the M9 and the 50 lux. This is a nice memo on how good light, relax and inspiration are key factors for getting the best from us.
    My warmest regards, waiting for an amazing 2014…
    M

• Prosophos says:

In actuality, 16 out of 31 are from one holiday last winter, and one four-day weekend this summer.

It shows you what good light will do… I often wonder what would be possible if I had the chance to travel more…

And, it also makes me think maybe I should just put my camera away for 95% of the year!

Thanks Matteo.

Peter.

• Jason Timmis says:

Wonderful images Peter. I can totally relate when I look over my keepers. If the light comes when I have the time the magic sometimes happens. I guess ‘we’ are just keeping in practice the other 98% of the time. 😉

10. Hugues says:

Très cher Peter,

I will start by introducing my favorites here … even if it is quite difficult to make a selection , I must say!
    Now , one thing is sure: if we have a shot of depression … just come look at your images to make a big bowl of love, freshness , tenderness … and of course , review our ranges for photography !
    One last thing : it is so difficult to stay consistent in what we can offer … and there! There is a real style , a true signature! Hats off to the artist!
    For reasons that are my own and dear to my heart , so here is my selection of your own selection !
    ” Baseball, Revisited ” / ” Pure Honey” / “LOVE ” / ” Rock Pool Lounging ” / ” Chestnut ” /
    “Sun Bathers ” / ” Laugh ” / ” Charlie ” / ” Thrilled ” / ” Boy” / “End of Summer” …
    A very nice photographic year , we present you here , Peter !
    With an image that definitely long remain etched in my mind :
    in this case , “Boy !”
    I wish you a wonderful 2014 my dear Peter ! For you and your children and to your wife!

Thank you for everything!

Your friend.

Hugues .

• Prosophos says:

Mon très cher Hugues,

Tu est vraiment unique! Merci beaucoup d’avoir pris le temps d’écrire ces gentils commentaires. Tu faites toujours que pour moi.

Joyeux Noël à toi et ta famille, et bonne année!

Cordialement,

11. Peter, what a challenging intention! “Breakfast”, “Free as a Bird” and the eyes in “Chestnut” are photographs that will be always remeber me to your name.
    All the best wisches to you and your family, merry Christmas and a happy new year!
    Bernd

12. Marc says:

thank you for sharing your favorites. out of those, my personal favorites are : ghost train (love the wide angle) , ezra (beautiful tones and portrait) , chestnut (the bokeh of the summarit is beautiful, along with the m9 colors) , jump in the bask (nice moment, and great color) , charlie and boy. your blog is a great inspiration for my own photography.

greetings

Marc

13. Hatem says:

Great collection Peter and what a lovely album for 2013!

May that elusive light manifest itself magically during the holidays for yet another exceptional series of little moments you are so adept at capturing.

All the best,

Hatem

14. Dalal M. says:

The images here are absolutely stunning. There is so much warmth and love embodied in these delightful pictures. WOW!

Best Wishes to you and your family,
    Dalal

As I’ve said before, your blog, your images, are an island of sparkle in a sea of drab.

So many to choose from in a full year’s retrospective and some of what may be our (my) favorites may not appear (for instance the very recent “Braiding”, which I thought was surpassingly wonderful) reminding us that you record moments in your life and there are whole layers of relative importance attached to each one that we “followers” (if I may call us that) have only hints of, and I suspect there may be some element from time to time of technical challenge that an image presented that adds value which some of us (me) miss because we shoot other equipment or just take for granted.

Anyway, these were wonderful the first time around and great to see again. Thanks for all the effort you put into sharing your best moments with us. I wish you good times… and better light.

• Prosophos says:

That “Braiding” shot meant a lot to me, but so did several hundred others that “didn’t make the cut”, for one reason or other. You are correct that some of these involved technical challenges… but mostly they were emotional choices.

Thank you Greg, for your comments and for you ongoing support.

For me, I think it’s “Soccer Girl” or “Angelic” in the top spot…although “Free as a Bird” is certainly in a class of its own as well…

Beautiful work, my friend…but there’s still plenty of night left in 2013!

😉

M.

• Prosophos says:

That “Soccer Girl” one was technically challenging. However, in the original file if you zoom in at 100% you can read the writing on the soccer ball, despite the fact that it was photographed at f/0.95. It’s a silly reason to be proud of an image, I know. But I do like the image as a whole.

Thanks for your comments Mark, and although 2013 is not over yet, I usually go through this exercise at this time because I find it impossible to be inspired in December in Toronto (there’s very little light).

17. Gordon Harris says:

Seasons greetings from the UK. I continue to follow your activities Peter and I’m captivated by your choice for 2013. I’m using the same setup and striving for results that might begin to approach yours! However, I experience one obstacle at the final stage of the workflow, – adjusting my sharp image to a sensible size of – say 800 x 600 . I’m using LR4, but size reduction results in reduced definition, and yours don’t seem to suffer to same extent. Can you share or give pointers towards your approach to that stage of the workflow.

• Prosophos says:

In actuality most of the web-size images I post here are re-sized courtesy of my Zenfolio site. I upload the original file to Zenfolio, and the site then allows me to copy and past various re-sized images.

When I choose to do it myself, I use Capture NX2 and re-size using the “Adjust Image Size” option (where I can specify the pixel size). It only takes a few keystrokes and I’m done.

18. Raed A. says:

So talented you are. Beautiful and inspiring images as always. Keep it up next year.